Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pot Roast

Have you ever noticed that people cook a roast so long at such a high heat that it may fall apart, but you can't chew it, and the flavor is somewhere near an old rockport? I love roast beef, but could never stand a traditional pot roast, mostly because all the flavor gets cooked out in the relatively hot oven, and long cooking time (when I first started playing with this I found my meat hit well done in about an hour, most recipes say cook for 3  hours), so I took a cue from the Bar B Que people, low and slow. Some cooks like to sear theirs first, and it does make it look pretty, and may impart some flavor, but it was more effort than it was worth to me (I'm lazy).

Ingredients:
3 lb beef roast (I prefer leaner cuts)
10 cloves garlic peeled, and halved
1 large onion quartered
2 bay leaves
4 cups beef stock
Herbs de Provenance (a wonderful spice blend that should be in every kitchen)
Kosher salt
Pepper

Directions:
place onion, garlic, and bay leaves in bottom of roasting pan. Sprinkle the herbs de provenance, salt and pepper on all sides of roast, and lay on top of onions. Add stock to pan, may need more so just covers bottom of roast. Cover and cook in a 275 degree oven for 3-3 1/2 hours or until tender. A real lean roast may require more liquid (add water to keep level) you will have a flavorful, and juicy roast

No comments:

Post a Comment