Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Biscuits without added sugar

Last night we had stew for dinner (just a basic one, I'll share later) and I wanted some drop biscuits like my mom used to make. I realized I didn't have the recipe, and all the ones I did have had sugar in them, I now see why we eat so much sugar, we put it in everything. I asked my mother in law, and she said she never heard of adding sugar. I asked her for her recipe, and it used self rising flour, which we are out of, so to the internet I went. Alton Brown came to my rescue, he has the recipe that is what I remember (he shapes them, I used a spoon and dropped them). You have to use shortening, oil won't work (they end up not rising, and very hard don't ask how I know).

Ingredients

  • 2 cups flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons shortening
  • 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
Directions

Preheat oven to 425
Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Mix the butter, and shortening in until well mixed, and mixture looks like crumbs (don't be afraid to use your hands) slowly add milk and stir until it all comes together.

Use a large soup spoon and drop a dollop (golfball size almost) onto a well greased baking sheet.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment