Wednesday, December 28, 2011

New Years Eve

Living in the south there is a tradition for New Years meals, that if you don't partake, they just may lynch you (you at least hear about it big time). It includes eating greens (supposed to bring you money) and black eyed peas (brings luck) I love black eyed peas, but the greens not so much. I do eat spinach, but hate it cooked. I am going to try some others this year, and figured I'd share a recipe for collards, adapted from Paula Deen.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 pound smoked meat (ham hocks, smoked turkey wings, or smoked neck bones)
  • 1 tablespoon House seasoning (equal parts salt, pepper, and garlic powder)
  • 1 tablespoon hot  sauce
  • 1 large bunch collard greens
  • 1 tablespoon butter
Directions:
In a large pot boil 3 quarts of water, and add meat, seasoning salt, house seasoning, and hot sauce. Reduce heat to medium and cook for an hour.

Wash the greens, and remove center stem, and slice into 1 inch slices (stack a few and roll them makes it easier) Put in pot, add butter, and cook for about an hour. Salt and pepper to taste.

Black eyed peas are real easy, just cook them like any other bean (I usually use frozen, and cook them like peas in a ton of butter instead though)

Also since we are talking about superstitions and New Years, supposedly you should not eat chicken, or lobster on New Years, as they are bad luck (heck I'm lucky if I get lobster anymore but anyway)

1 comment:

  1. I have friend who always eat ham and cabbage for New Years, I think it's an Irish tradition.

    ReplyDelete