Monday, January 23, 2012

Happy Chinese New Year

I figure since it's Chinese New Year, I should have Chinese food, and my favorite is General Tso's chicken. I've never made it myself, but found a recipe I want to try. It's hard to find one without alcohol for some reason, and I really want to avoid the alcohol if possible (it doesn't cook off no matter what you've been told). We shall see how it is.

Ingredients:
(sauce)

1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 1/2 cups hot chicken broth
(chicken)
3 lbs. uncooked, chicken breast, cut in chunks
 1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon pepper
1 egg
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup salad oil
2 cups green onions, chopped
16 small, dried hot peppers


Directions:
Mix 1/2 cup cornstarch with water, add garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce  vinegar, and broth. Stir until sugar dissolves, and set aside.
In a separate bowl mix the chicken, soy sauce, and pepper. Stir in egg, then add cornstarch mixing until coated, add oil to help separate pieces. Deep fry until crispy, and drain well.
In a wok stir fry onions, and peppers in a little oil. Stir in sauce, and chicken. Stir to coat. Serve on fried rice (recipe hopefully coming soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment